Think you want to be a doctor? This online summer intensive is designed and led by medical faculty and provides driven students the opportunity to work closely with medical students as they explore crucial facets of the medical school experience at one of the nation's leading medical schools - Tufts University School of Medicine.
Through lectures and medical case studies coupled with a hands-on lab, students will begin to experience much of what it takes to study medical sciences. Question and answer sessions with admissions staff, physicians, other health professionals, and medical students will help participants get a feel for medical school and the career options they have in medicine and related health sciences.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of understanding disease transmission cycles, prevention and treatment options. Our 2021 Virtual Mini-Med School will have an emphasis on infectious diseases and immunology, with examples drawn from the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, students will learn about the challenges doctors face today in combating multi-drug resistance, and cutting-edge approaches researchers are developing in response.
This program is uniquely interdisciplinary and is distinctive in its ability to draw on the stunning array of schools beyond the School of Medicine dedicated to health science and medicine at Tufts University, including: the School of Dental Medicine, the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, the Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy, the School of Engineering, and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
Students will cap their experience with a project that connects the science of infectious diseases and immunology to a health topic of personal and societal significance. They will share their capstone projects with their program peers, medical student mentors, and program staff.
Tufts is not only a leading institution of higher education and academic research, but it is leading the nation in terms of higher education's response to our public health crisis by turning its campus into housing for healthcare workers and hospital patient overflow. Where better to study medicine this summer? Join us for your summer studies and share the Tufts experience!
Need more information? Check out our website!
- Gain experience learning about infectious diseases and immunology from Medical Education specialists at Tufts University School of Medicine
- Attend career talks with various medical professionals which will help you decide the right health profession for you
- Participate in medical school style ‘case studies’ and a diagnostic clinical lab that explores the threat of antibiotic resistant infections
- Work closely with current medical students as you take on the challenges in the program, while learning about their paths to becoming a health professional
- Learn how to communicate effectively about complex health issues through development of a capstone project
- Learn what undergraduate and medical school admissions committees are looking for in applicants
- Learn about infectious diseases and immunology - critical health topics important to all medical professionals
- Create a capstone project focused around a health issue of your choice
- Attend talks led by experts in medical, veterinary, and biomedical sciences