- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Pre-Med, Biology, Work Experience, Career Exploration
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Career Clusters: Health Science
Complete real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts.
- Investigate medical interventions from diagnosis to design to implementation
- Rotate through a variety of hands-on skill stations and high-fidelity clinical scenarios
- Create tests to push the limits of functionality, durability, and ease of deployment — and present your designs to a panel of medical research experts
- Earn college credit
Program description: In the Surgical Interventions + Biomedical Engineering concentration, you’ll learn to interpret medical images and use them to diagnose illnesses and injuries in animal specimens. With a diagnosis in hand, you’ll design a medical solution, test its viability with scaled prototypes, then surgically implant the device you designed into your specimen or model. Through simulated surgeries and connecting with medical experts, discover how the latest biomedical technology is being used to create cutting-edge solutions for the most pressing medical challenges we face today. Gain experience with medical interventions such as: treating a clogged artery, engineering a replacement MCL, and designing a reconstructive device to repair a bone fracture. Practice surgical techniques, from holding a scalpel to cutting through layers of tissue with precision. Discover both the engineer’s and medical practitioners’ toolboxes and how they are used to make observations, identify needs, design and manufacturer devices, and test them. Through this program, you will experience the entire process through the eyes of a Doctor, Medical Illustrator, Biomedical Engineer, Surgeon, or Rehabilitation Therapist. Explore current issues in surgery and approaches to patient care and recovery, the impact of socioeconomics on patient outcomes, and the use of robotics and AI in surgical procedures and medicine. What’s more, you’ll hear from admissions professionals and get advice on applying to competitive medical schools.
Our Surgical Interventions + Biomedical Engineering experts include:
- Dr. David C. Mulligan Md, FACS: Professor of Surgery at Yale Medical School; Chief of Transplant Surgery at Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Dr. Erika Fellinger, MD, FACS: General Surgeon, Cambridge Health Alliance
- Dr. Daniel Kosoy, MD, FACS: Transplant Surgeon + President, KMD Medical Group
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life. Attend academic sessions featuring special guest speakers, participate in student clubs, explore the natural splendor of Maine, and more. You’ll check in at your residence hall by 10:30 PM to relax with your friends and get ready for another day of exploration and adventure.