Dive into hands-on, experiential projects that engage you in the real work of the profession and receive real-time mentoring from experts shaping the industry. (EXPLO Grades 10-12 Student Life at the Wellesley College campus). Learn how to earn college credit.)
Program Highlights: Under the guidance of medical experts, look through the lens of a third-year med school student and gain clinical skills — all while wrestling with case studies and simulated patient encounters. Rotate through specialties like internal medicine, oncology, pediatrics, emergency medicine, obstetrics, and surgery. Receive updates on patients during rounds and determine the best course of treatment by monitoring vital signs, reviewing patient charts, and navigating electronic health records. Enhance your decision-making capabilities, and learn essential leadership and teamwork skills as your group responds to a simulated drop in your patient’s vitals, all while answering rapid-fire questions from doctors and the interprofessional team. Learn the importance of avoiding snap judgments, contending with uncertainty, communicating effectively and humanely, and working as an effective team to deliver quality care to your patients.
- Sim Lab Training — Participate in case-based simulation training at a medical simulation center that regularly trains medical professionals. Specialties include emergency medicine, pathology, and surgery.
- Patient Rounds + Hands-on Clinical Training — Create sample records using medical SOAP notes and plan the next steps in patient care. Practice measuring vital signs, reading pathology reports, and basic techniques, such as suturing and surgical knot-tying.
- Current Issues + Emerging Technology — Explore current questions in the field of medicine and complex issues facing doctors, researchers, and allied health professionals every day. Get up close with some of the newest technology used in patient care, such as the da Vinci Surgical System.
- Medical Admissions — Hear from pre-medical and medical school admissions professionals on how to prepare to apply to medical programs — and even get the chance to participate in mock admission interviews.
Other EXPLO Pre-College Medical Concentrations Available:
Visit our website or TeenLife listings for:
1. Psychology + Neuroscience
2. Biomedical Engineering
To supplement our program with college credit, we’ve partnered with Sarah Lawrence College — a top-ranked liberal arts college that the Princeton Review hails for its excellence in teaching and academic rigor — so you can enhance your competitive college applications and get a jumpstart on your academic progress (before you even graduate high school).
Visit our website to learn How To Earn College Credit.
Session 1: June 25 – July 14, 2023
Session 2: July 16 – Aug 4, 2023
Tuition at EXPLO is all-inclusive in nature: it includes all programming costs, course supplies, room and board, food, evening events, social clubs, and entertainment.
Industry-leading Program/Travel Protection plans are available.