- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: College Experience, Pre-Med, Biology, Work Experience, Career Exploration
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Career Clusters: Health Science
This concentration provides an unparalleled opportunity to explore careers in the medical field with real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts.
- Explore current questions and complex issues in medicine
- Get up close with some of the newest technology used in patient care
- Create sample records using medical SOAP notes
- Participate in case-based simulation training at a medical simulation center Earn college credit
Program description: In EXPLO Medical Rotations, you’ll get access to clinical training experiences that are usually reserved only for professionals and medical students. You’ll network with doctors in a variety of medical careers and practice in a state-of-the-art medical simulation lab. You’ll begin to see the world differently – through the eyes of a doctor. Work side-by-side with physicians, nurses, and medical researchers as you explore different specialties at state-of-the-art medical simulation centers and research laboratories. Under the guidance of medical experts, you’ll look through the lens of a third-year med school student and gain clinical skills while wrestling with case studies and simulated patient encounters. Rotate through specialties like internal medicine, oncology, pediatrics, emergency medicine, obstetrics, and surgery. Receive updates on patients during rounds and determine the best course of treatment by monitoring vital signs, reviewing patient charts, and navigating electronic health records. Enhance your decision-making capabilities and learn essential leadership and teamwork skills as your team responds to a drop in your patient’s vitals and answer rapid-fire questions from doctors and the interprofessional team. Learn the importance of avoiding snap judgments, contending with uncertainty, communicating effectively and humanely, and working as an effective team to deliver quality care to your patients. Hear from admissions professionals on how to prepare for applying to pre-med and medical programs and participate in mock med school interviews — and so much more.
Our Medical Rotations experts include:
- Dr. Celine Gounder, MD: Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases, New York University Grossman School of Medicine Celine Gounder; appointed to the Biden-Harris Transition COVID-19 Advisory Board in November 2020
- Dr. Enrico Benedetti, MD: Professor and Head, Department of Surgery, University of Illinois-Chicago
- Dr. Talia Baker, MD: Director of the Living Donor Liver Transplant Program and the Surgical Director of Transplant Oncology at UChicago Medicine
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life. Attend academic sessions featuring special guest speakers, participate in student clubs, explore the natural splendor of Maine, and more. You’ll check in at your residence hall by 10:30 PM to relax with your friends and get ready for another day of exploration and adventure.