- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: College Experience, Pre-Med, Psychology, Work Experience, Career Exploration, Neuroscience
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Career Clusters: Health Science, Human Services
This concentration provides an unmatched opportunity for students to explore the fields of Psychology and Neuroscience with real-world projects created by experts in the field — exclusively for EXPLO.
- Complete a research project and present your findings in our end-of-session Brain Summit Symposium
- Explore the latest technology applications such as VR exposure therapy, used to diagnose and treat PTSD and anxiety
- Earn college credit
Program description: From avatar therapy to building better business brands to refining pharmacological treatment of mental health through genetic markers, explore the vast applications of psychology and neuroscience that influence the way we work, live, and interact with one another. We’ll dive into the interactions between psychology and neuroscience and foundational questions such as what is the biological basis of human behavior, for our emotions, reactions, and memories? How does the brain give rise to the mind? How does therapy change not only how we think and feel, but also change the structures of our brain?
The COVID -19 pandemic has exposed just how important positive social interaction is to maintaining overall health and mental wellness. As part of an extended case study, examine current research on the impacts of restricted social interaction including anxiety, depression, and trauma, and discuss current therapy models used to help patients improve their overall mental health. Connect with professionals in a range of careers that utilize a background in psychology and neuroscience. Under the direction of medical professionals, learn to read head CT scans and examine images such as MRIs to diagnose a range of neurological conditions. In a simulation, take on the role of a Criminal Forensic Psychologist and offer expert testimony in defense of a client who claims to have made a false confession. To boot, you’ll get advice from advisors and admissions officers in psychology and neuroscience on how to prepare for and apply to competitive programs.
Our Psychology + Neuroscience experts include:
- Laurence Steinberg, Ph.D: Distinguished Professor of Psychology, Temple University
- Laurie Santos, Ph.D.: Professor of Psychology, Yale University
- Olivia Moorehead- Slaughter, Ph.D.: Clinical Psychologist
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life. Attend academic sessions featuring special guest speakers, participate in student clubs, explore the natural splendor of Maine, and more. You’ll check in at your residence hall by 10:30 PM to relax with your friends and get ready for another day of exploration and adventure.