This concentration provides an unparalleled opportunity for students to explore CSI by completing real-world projects created exclusively for EXPLO by the experts. Investigate a real cold case, work on case files, and more Learn how to “walk the scene” Identify solvability factors and devise an action plan Work with physical evidence, crime scene photography techniques, and latent fingerprints Earn college credit ..(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Pre-Med, Bio Technology, Psychology, Work Experience, Career Exploration, Neuroscience
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Career Clusters: Health Science, Human Services, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Credit Awarded: No
- Call: (781) 762-7400
- Meeting: Schedule a Meeting
Explore the anatomy and inner workings of the brain, learn about cutting edge treatments for mental illness, and use psychological theory to design, test, and run an experiment that investigates human behavior.
Program description: Psychology seeks to understand behavior and develop models of cognitive and physiological processes. Neuroscience goes a step further and seeks to answer the questions: How does the brain give rise to the mind? What is the biological basis for emotions and reactions? How are mental illnesses related to differences and changes in brain functionality? In this Concentration, explore the interactions between psychology and neuroscience in an attempt to understand and unlock the mysteries of the human brain. Explore a range of disciplines within the field of psychology and learn how to apply different therapeutic theories to diagnostics and clinical treatment of mental illnesses. An introduction to behavioral neuroscience explores the presumed biological bases for such illnesses — as well as the relationship between brain activity and a person’s subjective experience, principles governing neuronal activity, and neurotransmitter systems in memory, motivation, and addiction.
In EXPLO Psychology + Neuroscience, explore the tools used by psychologists for diagnosis, analyze nervous system anatomy and functionality through labs measuring muscle action potential, and learn from leading experts on the role of psychology in the interrogation of criminal suspects.
- Brain Dissection — Dissect a brain in a session led by a neuroscientist.
- Conduct Research + Present — Complete an original research project and receive feedback from psychologists and industry experts in fields such as clinical psychology, behavioral neuroscience, criminal, and organizational psychology. Present your findings in our end-of-session Brain Summit Symposium, where professional clinicians hear presentations and provide feedback.
- Neuroimaging Technology — Get hands-on experience with the latest neuroimaging technology. Interpret EEG readings, discuss how scans are being used in determining treatment protocols, and learn about other applications of these technologies in research and patient treatment.
Cost and Session Information
Session 1: June 25 – July 14, 2023
Session 2: July 16 – August 4, 2023
EXPLO’s alumni have gone on to incredible ventures. The 2022 Forbes 30 Under 30 List includes five EXPLO alumni: Author, Cole Brown; Crypto Partner at Tribe Capital, Jared Madfes; Co-founder of Wagr, Eliana Eskinazi; Senior Sports Partner Manager at Twitter, Kelsey Taylor; and Co-founder and Head of Business Development of Umamicart, Wendy Wang. In total, there have been more than 60 EXPLO alumni featured on the Forbes 30 Under 30 List. Other notable alumni include: Co-Founder and former CEO of Instagram, Kevin Systrom; Scientist in the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab and Forbes 30 Under 30, Katie Stack Morgan; Grammy Award Winner and Tony Award Nominee, Celia Rose Gooding; and Yale Law Professor and Pulitzer Prize-winning Author, James Forman, Jr., JD.
Tuition at EXPLO is all-inclusive in nature: it includes all programming costs, course supplies, room and board, food, and entertainment.
Industry-leading Program/Travel Protection plans are available.