Grades 10-12 | Wellesley, Massachusetts
Iterate, design, prototype, and test. Engage with the many sub-disciplines of the profession, from mechanical engineering, to circuit design, through hands-on projects, such as designing and building a biologically inspired robot.
College credit available. Learn more.
- Biologically Inspired Robot — Design and build a biologically inspired robot that uses deep learning to navigate real-world environments such as avoiding obstacles, and responding to visual and auditory cues.
- Fuel Cell — Create a Fuel Cell capable of cleanly converting hydrogen to usable electric energy.
- Computer Coding — Write and modify computer code using hardware such as a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino.
- Electronics — Design and build functional electronics using breadboards, servo motors, LED displays, and other electronics hardware. (Includes soldering, breadboarding, and using a multimeter.)
- Iterative Design — Integrate feedback from professional engineers in order to hone project prototypes to better meet project challenge requirements.
EXPLO Panel of Engineering experts include:
- Dr. Steven Goldfarb, Ph.D.: Particle physicist working on the ATLAS Experiment at CERN, the European Laboratory for Particle Physics
- Lauren Lyons: Senior Systems Lead at Blue Origin, an organization whose mission is to build a road to space with reusable launch vehicles to “so that our children can build our future”
- Marcia Isakson, Ph.D., IR&D: Strategic Programs Director, Applied Research Laboratories, University of Texas at Austin
In addition to engaging academics and career exploration, EXPLO mirrors the many opportunities undergraduate students have at their fingertips when they get to college. Learn to navigate your choices and cultivate a wide range of interests that will enrich your undergraduate experience — and your life.
College credit is available through Sarah Lawrence College. Learn more.
Session One: June 25 – July 14, 2023
Session Two: July 16 – August 4, 2023
Tuition at EXPLO is all-inclusive in nature: it includes all programming costs, course supplies, room and board, and entertainment. Industry-leading Program/Travel Protection plans are available.