Learn more about pre-college opportunities at UMass Amherst. Our online pre-college programs are designed to give you a preview of the UMass student experience, including college-level academics and being part of a learning community of high school students from all across the U.S. and the world...(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Business/Entrepreneurship
- Sub-Categories: Business, College Experience
- Selective: No
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
Learn about pre-college opportunities Summer Session 2021. Our online pre-college programs are designed to give you a preview of the UMass student experience, including college-level academics and being part of a learning community of high school students from all across the U.S. and the world.
Have you ever wondered how business works? How businesses make decisions ranging from what new markets to enter, to how big should a new factory be? What the different activities are that happen inside a company (e.g., management, marketing, accounting, finance), and how they are coordinated in order to be successful?
This course provides the framework for all future business courses. It is a broad-based introductory course designed to give you exploratory experiences in all aspects of business. It will acquaint you with the dynamic business world of the 21st century. Economics, management, globalization, marketing, finance, accounting, operations, and careers in business will be included, with a special unit on entrepreneurship and start-ups.
The use of technology and its impact on business will also be stressed, with a focus on how to foster innovation. We will combine online meetings in real time with team-based activities and individual exploration culminating in a final team project.
- Consider the ethical and social responsibility issues involved in the current business environment
- Evaluate the global economy and its impact on U.S. economy
- Identify and define the functions of and challenges facing management
- Describe the responsibilities and significance of human resource management
- Explain the basic accounting process
- Describe the United States’ financial and investment systems and their role in business
Cost and Session Information
Dates: July 12 - 23, 2021 Program Length: 2 weeks Program Fees $1,697 Application fee $35 – All Applicants Program fees include tuition, a technology fee, and a one-time registration fee. Certain programs have an additional materials fee to cover the cost of necessary tools and supplies (included in total). These come pre-packaged through the host departments.