Spend a gap semester in Peru and Ecuador, nations characterized by awe-inspiring landscapes, diverse cultures, and a deep sense of shared history. From your vantage point, you’ll get a fascinating view into the complexities of indigenous communities, colonialism, and the increasing pressures of globalization. From the arid beaches to the soaring Andes Mountains; from the Amazon jungle to the capital cities, this is the adventure of a lifetime.
Study, practice, and expand your Spanish as you live alongside host communities and immerse yourself in unique cultures and traditions. Lend a hand in agricultural and conservation efforts, establish a connection to people and place, and explore questions related to globalization and social justice. From your perch in the cloud forests of Ecuador, participate in reforestation efforts. As is the Carpe Diem way, you’ll discover just as much about yourself as you do this rich, vibrant, complex region of the world.
- Improve your Spanish: Through immersive experiential learning courses and homestays, put your new Spanish skills to the test
- Machu Picchu trek: Grab your hiking boots and prepare for the journey of a lifetime as you hike to this historic and cultural site
- Lend a hand: Learn from your host community and lend a hand in reforestation, sustainable farming, and environmental protection efforts
- Explore the Amazon: From the Amazon basin, you'll participate in forest and river conservation efforts in one of the most biodiverse areas of the world
- Experience traditional life: While staying with families in the cloud forest of Ecuador, learn about the impacts of large scale resource extraction on communities
Program tuition includes all food, accommodations, scheduled program activities, and international travel insurance for the duration of the program. Keep in mind, while budgeting, international airfare and spending money are extra. International airfare estimated at $1500 - $1700.
What's Not Included