An immersive gap year experience combining a group travel semester and an individual volunteer placement, Latitudes Year is the full year option for students who want to go deeper in their independent travel journey. As a Latitudes Year student, you’ll spend your first semester traveling on one of our group semesters. During your second semester, you’ll have the opportunity to deepen your educational experience with an independent volunteer placement.
You’ll work with a specific organization and community that reflects your unique interests and develop meaningful relationships with your host community. Along the way, you’ll develop confidence, independence, and enrich your world view. Previous placements have included scuba certification while protecting coral reefs in Southern Thailand, working with wildlife in Belize, or participating in conservation efforts in Central America. Carpe Diem’s experienced coordinator works with you to develop a unique program to match your goals.
- 1st Semester: Join a group semester in Southeast Asia, the South Pacific, Europe, South America, Central America, Hawai'i, or India & Nepal
- 2nd Semester: Work with our coordinator to craft a Focused Volunteer Placement (FVP) in a region of the world that reflects your goals and interests
- Contribute wholeheartedly: Dive in deeper on a topic that interests you and learn by doing as you contribute to a new community in the field of your choice
- Become an experienced traveler: Develop your travel skills during your first semester, guided by your peers and Overseas Educators
- Uniquely crafted for you: As an independent traveler, build meaningful relationships with your host community, gain independence, and expand your cultural awareness through immersive experiences
Price varies depending on the region you select for your first and second semester. Latitudes Year can range from $24,575 - $29,275, which includes a 3-day orientation in Portland, Oregon, 1-on-1 mentorship from a Latitudes Advisor, a customized Focused Volunteer Placement, $2800 project contribution towards the second semester FVP, access to 36 PSU credits, and international travel insurance for the duration of the program. International airfare estimated at $3,400 – $5,600 for the year.
Earn up to $5000 per year in scholarship funding from Carpe Diem Education. Payment plans are also available. Through our partnership with Portland State University, students can complete up to 18 quarter credits per semester.
What's Not Included