- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Multiple Locations
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Semester
- Start Month: September
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Cabins, Homestay, Hotel, Tents
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Affiliation: Gap Year Association
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
The East Africa gap year program explores the majesty, cultures, and challenges of three East African nations: Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania.
We take advantage of our unparalleled access and gain a unique education on this fascinating expanse of Africa. Shadowing a peer at Kenya’s first free all-female secondary school, we are inspired by the strength and passion of the next generation. Tromping through the equatorial rainforest with wildlife biologists, surveying habitat for endangered species, we witness the environmental struggle. Shadowing nurses in a rural health clinic in Tanzania, we gain a unique insight into access to health care for these Maasai communities. Building solar panels alongside local community members, we understand how important this renewable resource is for the families we are working with. Witnessing a family of elephants trek through the savanna of the Maasai Mara at sunrise, we experience one of life’s unforgettable moments. Never again will you look at education in quite the same way!