Want to learn cutting-edge science from professional researchers working hands-on with stem cells in a biotech research lab? We offer this and more! Pathways to Stem Cell Science is the worlds only biotech-based provider of career education & STEM programs for all ages Prek-12 & college.
Do you want to learn cutting-edge science from professional research scientists in a real biotech reserach lab working hands-on with actual stem cells? Interested in future STEM careers but not sure what options are available or how to go about it? Check out our hands-on real-world and career education programs at Pathways to Stem Cell Science.
Pathways to Stem Cell Science is a unique non-profit biotech-based education and research institute located in Los Angeles California. Our educational mission is to "inspire, guide and prepare students for future bioscience careers, with an emphasis on the cutting edge fields of stem cell biology and regenerative medicine". We are the only biotech-based organization in the world offering real-world science programs for all grade levels, Prek-12 and college.
We provide an innovative pipeline of lab-based courses, enabling students of all ages to work hands-on with stem cells in professional biotech facilities alongside PhD level research scientists. Our programs feature authentic science that cannot be learned in school or college to address the skills gap created by traditional bioscience education. We also educate students about bioscience careers and the logistics of turning their science passions into a science occupations.
- Hands-on labs with stem cells - our students learn to isolate, culture and manipulate real stem cells.
- Authentic lab skills - our students learn broadly applicable real-world skills that are highly sought after across the biosciences sector.
- Real-world exposure - we expose students to real-world science environments in academia, industry and medicine they would not otherwise experience without us.
- Career exposure - we expose students to the vast array of potential bioscience careers.
- Career education - we show students how to turn their passion for science into a viable career, providing real-world education for identifying, researching and pursuing actual biosciences jobs and developing viable career plans.
- Professional teachers - our programs are taught by professional PhD level scientists who are also exceptional teachers. They also feature guest speakers from across the world and the biosciences industry.
- Research opportunities* - some of our programs offer opportunities for independent research, guided by the worlds leading stem cell scientists.
- Certificate of completion - we provide a certificate of completion for participating students.
- Social development - our programs promote the technical, informational and social skills students need to succeed in college and professional bioscience fields.
- Work place preparation - our courses mirror work place internships to prepare students for future professional life.
- Personalized mentorship - we offer small classes with a 4:1 student to teacher ratio to provide high quality personalized training and mentorship.
- Continuing support - our students recieve ongoing support after they leave our programs, through recommendation letters, mentorship and alumni resources.
*Note: Our stem cell research programs are operated in collaboration with several neighboring institutions and industry labs including Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, USC, Caltech, UCLA and HRMI.
COURSE GRADE LEVELS.
We are currently offering 10 different programs for preschool, elementary, high-school and college students, with plans to add middle school courses in 2020.
Our long term plan is to develop a large portfolio of 50+ cross disciplinary programs for every grade level.
HIGH SCHOOL COURSES.
We offer the following high school programs to prepare students for college and workplace internships.
- Methods in Stem Cell Engineering
- Intro to Stem Cell Systems
- Molecular Stem Cell Biology
- Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling
- Stem Cell Research Internship
- CIRM SPARK Program
We offer the following college programs to prepare students with work-based skills for graduate research and professional employment.
- Essential Cell Culture Techniques
- Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Techniques
We develop custom courses for schools, universities, counselors and individual students, tailored to your specifications.
Our programs run throughout the year from January to December in a range of different formats including weekends, after school and vacations. We can also schedule courses outside of standard training times for groups of 5 or more students.
We accept any eligible domestic or international student on a first-come-first-served basis up to the posted deadline. Scholarships and tuition subsidies may be available for low-middle income students, subject to fundraising success.
Cost and Session Information
Varies for each program/course, see website for details.