- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day, Residential
- Session Start: July, August
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Pre-Med, STEM, Veterinary Medicine, Bio Technology, Engineering
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Call: (310) 483-3651
The Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling Program show's high-schoolers how scientists create human stem cells from skin then turn them into heart cells that beat in the culture dish. Participants also plan and implement their own independent stem cell research experiment and learn about bioscience careers.
During the Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling Program, participating students learn from start to finish how human induced pluripotent stem cells are created from skin cells then converted into heart cells that beat in the culture dish. Each participant creates their own culture of beating heart cells, following the same real-life methods as professional stem cell researchers. Through the combined use of college-level lectures and laboratory classes, students receive comprehensive training in modern research techniques, working with sophisticated laboratory equipment alongside industry scientists. They also connect with internationally renowned researchers during guest lectures focusing on the role of stem cells in basic, pre-clinical and clinical research.
The Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling Program is an advanced ten-day course aimed at science enthusiasts who are interested in taking their education to the next level with hands-on training in research-level techniques. Taught by stem cell experts in an entrepreneurial biotech laboratory, this ground-breaking course is the only one of its kind in the world. In addition to hands-on skills, course participants explore the complexities of forging a bioscience career during career education seminars, lead by academic and industry scientists. They also plan and implement their own real-life experiment focusing on stem cells, their differentiated derivatives or the process of cellular reprogramming.
The Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling Program culminates with a special feature seminar covering the latest discoveries in the field of heart disease research. Join this unique program today and learn first-hand how human stem cells may one day be used to regenerate human hearts!
Students learn in small groups: 4 students to 1 research scientist.
Each day of the course follows the technical process of:
1. Isolating skin fibroblast cells
2. Reprogramming skin fibroblast cells to induced pluripotent stem cells
3. Converting induced pluripotent stem cells to beating heart cells (cardiomyocytes)
Students also learn to plan a real-life PhD-level experiment during week 1 and implement their experiment during week 2.
– College-level lectures
– Hands-on lab classes
– Cutting edge techniques*
– Guest speakers
– Independent lab research and experimental planning
– Career education and free BioPaths career education webinar
– Networking with professional science mentors
- Alumni resources
- Continuing support through letters of recommendation
*Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling provides practical training in: BSL-2 lab safety procedures, stem cell culture, aseptic technique, tissue microdissection, cell derivation, cryopreservation, cellular reprogramming, electroporation, antibody labeling, Reverse-Transcriptase PCR, flow cytometry and microscopy (phase contrast and fluorescent).