Experience real-world science working hands-on in a biotech research laboratory with professional industry scientists. Learn advanced lab skills that are not taught in school or college. Pursue your own research in our community lab. Gain valuable insights into bioscience careers. ..(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day, Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July, August
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Pre-Med, STEM, Veterinary Medicine, Bio Technology, Engineering
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Career Clusters: Health Science, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Credit Awarded: No
Explore the fascinating science of regenerative medicine.
Learn how scientists convert stem cells into beating heart cells for use in disease modeling research.
Gain research experience planning and implementing your own disease modeling research experiment.
THE REGENERATIVE MEDICINE AND DISEASE MODELING PROGRAM is an advanced two-week course aimed at students who are interested in medicine and biomedical research.
Participants learn real-life methods for reprogramming human induced pluripotent stem cells from skin then converting them to heart cells that beat in the culture dish.
They also gain independent research experience planning and implementing their own disease modeling experiment.
The program is taught hands-on in a biotech research facility by professional industry scientists who are exceptional mentors.
The program provides:
– Advanced training in real-life techniques for generating patient specific stem cell research models (human induced pluripotent stem cells) and differentiating them to medically relevant cell types (cardiomyocytes – heart cells).
– Daily college-level lectures that provide a conceptual overview of the lab-classes.
– The opportunity to plan, implement and analyze a disease modeling experiment involving stem cells.
– An introduction to regenerative medicine, disease modeling and the real-world application of stem cell models in biomedical research.
– Exposure to biotechnology and real-world science.
– Applicable skills and knowledge for future STEM programs such as AP biology, science fair research, college lab classes and workplace internships.
– An opportunity to connect with other science enthusiasts.
– A certificate of completion.
– A resource pack containing guidance and information relating to STEM careers.
The Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling Program teaches students how to:
1. Isolate fibroblast cells from patient skin samples
2. Reprogram skin fibroblast cells to create human induced pluripotent stem cells
3. Culture, expand and cryopreserve human induced pluripotent stem cells
4. Validate human induced pluripotent stem cells by gene expression analysis
5. Differentiate human induced pluripotent stem cells to beating heart cells (cardiomyocytes)
6. Validate and purify cardiomyocytes by immunocytochemistry and fluorescent activated cell sorting
7. Apply stem cell models during disease modeling experiments
Features and Benefits
– College-level lectures
– Hands-on lab classes
– Advanced laboratory research techniques*
– Independent research and experimental planning
– Career education resources
– Real world exposure
– Networking with professional science mentors
– Biotech exposure
*Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling provides practical training in: BSL-2 lab safety procedures, stem cell culture, aseptic technique, tissue microdissection, cell derivation, cryopreservation, cellular reprogramming, electroporation, antibody labeling, mRNA isolation, cDNA synthesis Reverse-Transcriptase PCR, DNA gel electrophoresis, flow cytometry and microscopy (phase contrast and fluorescent).
PROGRAM FLYER: https://stemcellpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/7.-Regenerative-Medicine-and-Disease-Modeling-2024.pdf
Cost and Session Information
Regenerative Medicine and Disease Modeling is offered in the summer. A tuition fee is charged to cover the cost of lab supplies, instructor salaries and lab facilities.