Experience real-world science working hands-on in a biotech research laboratory with professional industry scientists. Learn advanced lab skills that are not taught in school or college. Pursue your own research in our community lab. Gain valuable insights into bioscience careers. ..(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day, Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: One Week
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Pre-Med, STEM, Computer Science, Engineering, Biology
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Career Clusters: Health Science, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Credit Awarded: No
Learn to clone human genes and genetically engineer stem cells using modern ligation-independent cloning methods.
MOLECULAR STEM CELL BIOLOGY is an advanced course aimed at students who are interested in molecular biology and genetic engineering.
Participants learn to clone a human gene, construct an expression plasmid, create a fluorescent fusion protein, and engineer human stem cells using modern techniques that are not taught in school or college.
The curriculum expands on high school biology courses and is taught entirely hands-on in a biotech research facility by professional scientists who are also exceptional mentors.
The program provides:
– Advanced training in real-life techniques for cloning and expressing engineered fusion proteins using modern ligation independent cloning methods (In Fusion Cloning).
– An introduction to molecular biology software and the use of bioinformatics in genetic engineering.
– Practical experience culturing, transfecting and genetically engineering human cancer stem cells.
– College-level lectures that provide a conceptual overview of the lab-classes.
– An introduction to the real-world applications of gene cloning and protein engineering.
– Exposure to biotechnology and real-world science.
– Applicable skills and knowledge for future STEM programs such as AP biology, science fair research, college lab classes and workplace internships.
– An opportunity to connect with other science enthusiasts.
– A certificate of completion.
– A resource pack containing guidance and information relating to STEM careers.
Molecular Stem Cell Biology teaches students how to:
1. Utilize molecular biology software to design a gene amplification and cloning strategy
2. Clone a gene from human stem cells using modern ligation independent (In fusion) techniques
3. Create a plasmid construct containing an engineered fluorescent fusion protein
4. Select and replicate their plasmid construct using E. Coli bacteria
5. Verify their plasmid construct by diagnostic digest
6. Introduce their purified plasmid construct into human cancer stem cells
7. Verify the expression of their engineered fusion protein by fluorescent microscopy
Features and Benefits
– College level lectures
– Hands-on lab classes
– Advanced laboratory research techniques*
– Career education resources
– Guidance from professional science mentors
– Biotech exposure
* Molecular stem cell biology provides practical training in:BSL-2 lab safety procedures, molecular biology software, designing cloning strategies, materials preparation, microbiology, molecular biology techniques (PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, DNA purification, RNA purification, cDNA synthesis, DNA quantification, restriction digest analysis), transfection, human stem cell culture and microscopy (phase contrast and fluorescent).
PROGRAM FLYER: https://stemcellpath.com/courses/molecular-stem-cell-biology/
Cost and Session Information
Molecular Stem Cell Biology is offered in the summer. A tuition fee is charged to cover the cost of lab supplies, instructor salaries and lab facilities.