During Molecular Stem Cell Biology, participants learn modern methods for cloning engineered fusion proteins in human stem cells - not taught in school or college.
Molecular stem cell biology is a 7-day hands on program that imparts modern real-world techniques for cloning genes using In-Fusion cloning technology. Guided by professional molecular biologists, participants design and implement a cloning strategy, creating a fluorescent fusion protein which they express in human cancer stem cells. This one-of-a-kind program teaches sophisticated practical techniques that are not offered in any college or school setting. The program curriculum is ideally suited to students with a keen interest in molecular cell biology or genetic engineering.
Each day of the course follows the technical process of:
1. Utilizing bioinformatical software to design a gene amplification and cloning strategy
2. Cloning a gene from human stem cells using modern ligation independent isothermal assembly techniques
3. Engineering the cloned gene to create a fluorescent fusion protein
4. Introducing the cloned florescent fusion protein construct into human stem cells
5. Using microscopy to evaluate and observe the cloned fluorescent protein construct
6. Exploring the real-world applications of gene cloning and protein engineering in stem cell science
– College level lectures
– Hands-on lab classes
- Computational biology
– Cutting edge techniques*
– Guest speakers
– Career education
– Networking with professional science mentors
– Biotech exposure
* Molecular stem cell biology provides practical training in:BSL-2 lab safety procedures, using bioinformatical programs, designing cloning strategies, materials preparation, microbiology, molecular biology techniques (PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA purification, DNA sequencing), transfection, human stem cell culture and microscopy (phase contrast and fluorescent).