API High School programs offer high school students opportunities to learn and develop relevant global skills through fun, enriching summer community service and study abroad programs. Two-week and month-long programs are offered. Some even for college credit!
API High School realizes that not everything worth learning can be learned within the walls of a classroom. That’s why we offer summer study abroad and community service programs for high school students in grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. Teens and young adults can develop their language, communication, social, and intercultural skills in an exciting international program that prepares students for a lifetime of global awareness and involvement. Several programs offer college credit, and all provide exposure to a different culture.
Service and Culture in Bhutan:
The API High School Summer Community Service program in Bhutan takes place in the dreamy Himalayan city of Thimphu. This program is a week-long community service program providing students with the opportunity to learn about the Bhutanese concept of Gross National Happiness, while exploring and giving back to this culturally-rich community.
Costa Rica Community Service Trip:
- Students seeking adventure and fun are ideally stuited for the Costa Rica community service trip. In this short two-week stay, the program will expose participants to the multi-faceted beauty of Costa Rica: its hospitable and warm culture, its "pura vida" mantra, and its committment to protecting and exploring biodiversity.
- Students will acquire or strengthen Spanish language skills and participate in fun daily, cultural, social, and recreational activities. Spanish language classes and community service are arranged through the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS). Students will stay with carefully selected host families and will volunteer with local community organizations in San José.
Discover Britain at Harlaxton College:
- This program is offered for college credit! In this program, high school students explore British History and Creative Writing at Harlaxton College. Students will live and learn in an English country manor house in true Hogwarts style! Students will live and eat the majority of meals (including a welcome banquet) in the manor house and classes will be held in the staterooms. Orientation will be held in London spending three days seeing the major sites.
French Language Immersion Program in Paris, France:
- This program is offered for college credit! Students study intensive French language at the Institut Catholique de Paris while living with local host families. Most classes will be held in the mornings, allowing for participation in cultural and recreational activities in the afternoons and evenings.
Parsons Paris Art and Design Pre-College Summer Program:
- Study art and fashion in one of the world's most inspiring cities! Students will attend class and earn 3 credits from The New School over the course of the program, while experiencing all that life in the City of Lights has to offer. Courses are offered in drawing, fashion culture, design process, photography, and more.
Walton International STEM Experience
- Trinity College Dublin and API are offering high school students a unique, 10-day university-based STEM enrichment program, through the Walton International program. Students will work alongside likeminded Irish students, STEM faculty, and PhD students from Trinity College Dublin, while participating in STEM activities such as: designing mathematical functions; building micro-controlled projects; experimenting with Newton's Laws, and more!
Spanish Language and Culture Immersion Program in Salamanca, Spain:
- 14- and 15-year-old students practice their Spanish in Spain, both inside and outside of the classroom. Classes are held in the mornings, while the afternoons are filled with cultural visits and recreational activities, such as swimming, kayaking, and tennis.
Spanish Language and Culture at the University of Salamanca, Spain:
- This program is offered for college credit, and is taught at the collegiate level! Students will live with host families while studying at the oldest university in Spain. Most classes will be held in the mornings, allowing for cultural and recreational activities in the afternoons.