The mission of New Vistas School is to provide an individualized instructional program for students, grade three through grade twelve, with learning and attention differences, as well as the associated emotional difficulties that often accompany these challenges.
The philosophy of New Vistas School is based on the following principles:
- Students with learning and attention difficulties have the potential and the desire to learn;
- Students can succeed if they are taught to build on their strengths and to address weaknesses;
- Mastery of basic skills and valid academic accomplishments have positive effects on the students self-confidence and self-esteem;
- Problem-solving lifelong learners.
- Given appropriate remediation and a challenging academic program, successful transition to another school and/or college attendance is a viable option for most NVS students.
- A schools responsibilities include providing a safe, nurturing environment that fosters the development of personal characteristics, including responsibility, self-discipline, and respect for others _ all necessary for productive citizenship.
- As learning problems know no economic bounds, so, too, economic status should not be a barrier to attendance at NVS. Therefore community involvement ( or outreach) and fund raising are an integral part of our school.
The Objectives of New Vistas School are:
- To prepares students for successful transition into traditional school settings and/or further study at the college or career level;
- To remediate deficiencies in basic, essential skills;
- To focus on academic challenges appropriate for students of average to above average potential;
- To stress problem-solving, critical thinking, and organizational skills, in an attempt to build on strengths and to compensate for weaknesses;
- To provide a safe, nurturing environment, intended to foster personal growth and positive self-esteem; and to encourage personal responsibility and productive citizenship. To raise funds for financial aid and scholarships for those students whose families are unable to afford the full tuition rate at NVS.