The John Cooper School is an independent, non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory day school, whose mission is to provide a challenging education to a diverse group of select students, enabling them to become creative thinkers, responsible citizens and leaders, and lifetime learners.
Cooper believes that its mission is best achieved in an educational community where:
- Students are enthusiastic about learning and enjoy school;
- High expectations are held for students, faculty and staff;
- Creative, dedicated faculty are responsive to differences in students' learning styles and capabilities;
- Students' natural curiosity is fostered through their active participation in the educational process;
- The needs of the whole student-intellectual, emotional, social, physical, and ethical-are addressed through a balanced educational program;
- Students are given many opportunities to succeed in a safe, stimulating, and nurturing environment;
- Diverse views and cultures are represented and respected among students, faculty and parents.
Consistent with its Mission Statement and Philosophy, the school pursues the following goals for all students:
- Scholarship in all the academic disciplines;
- A commitment to excellence in all endeavors;
- Respect, honesty and integrity;
- Self-awareness and self-esteem;
- The ability to think clearly and solve problems creatively;
- The ability to communicate effectively;
- Knowledge of and respect for other people, nations, and cultures, past and present;
- A commitment to good health and physical fitness;
- Self-discipline and responsible behavior.
- The desire and ability to be active, committed citizens and leaders.