Founded in 1903, Isidore Newman School is a co-educational independent school that serves high achieving and highly motivated students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Newman is the only co-educational, non-sectarian, independent day school in the city of New Orleans.
Discimus Agere Agendo - Through creative engagement, meaningful participation, and reasoned argumentation, Newman students practice the skills needed to become effective participants in the global community. We believe that mastery of the core disciplines combined with rigorous development of critical thinking skills is fundamental to the education of informed, versatile, and creative citizens. Accordingly, the Newman classroom supports risk taking and is a place where precise content knowledge is pursued not merely for its own sake but, just as important, in the service of collaborative and productive intellectual endeavors.
Newmans Upper School seeks to graduate students
- who possess broad knowledge and understanding of the arts, history, literature, mathematics, physical education, science, and world languages, and who are capable of using this mastery in the thoughtful interpretation and critical analysis of new information.
- who are effective communicators, able to write and speak with force and originality in multiple languages.
- who demonstrate leadership, empowering others and inspiring a shared vision among their peers and the larger community.
- who are disciplined and creative problem solvers, prepared to engage new challenges methodically and purposefully.
- who recognize and appreciate aesthetic beauty and readily participate in the artistic process.
- and who are healthy, conscientious global citizens, guided by the fundamental values of honesty, kindness, respect, and responsibility in all that they do.
A Newman education is distinctive. We learn to do by doing.