The Julia C. Hester House has been enhancing the quality of lives in Houston's Fifth Ward since 1943.
Named after Julia C. Hester (1881 - 1940), a teacher, who opened her home to neighborhood youth. She and her husband, A.Z. Hester, were leaders in the Fifth Ward community, and although having no children of their own, provided a safe place for all children in the community. Julia C. Hester House was named to honor Mrs. Hester for her contributions and dedication to youth.