- Listing Type: Volunteer Opportunities
- Category: Advocacy for Cause, Community Resources, Homelessness and Hunger
- Volunteer Type: Individual, Supervised Group
- Minimum Age: 18
Taxes are always shown as an intimidating part of adulthood. But tax filing can be the key to accessing potential $1,000s in benefits for low-income individuals and families in need. Join GetYourRefund, a project of Code for America, as we remotely and empathetically assist people who can file after Tax Day and learn some personal finance skills along the way. With no prior training required and flexible volunteering schedule, this is an opportunity to engage in impactful economic justice
To close the tax benefit participation gap, we partnered with the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to provide a virtual tax preparation option that is free, trustworthy and easy to use. GetYourRefund.org (GYR) allows tax filers to answer simple questions about their situation, securely upload their tax documents and get connected with a local VITA partner to file their returns. Our Tax Benefits Screener volunteer role serves as the catalyst to make it all happen.
Tax Benefits Screeners help remote clients complete their GYR application process, ensure clients have all necessary information and help answer basic questions. This role does not require IRS tax certification.
- Ensure that client has answered all questions and uploaded all required documents
- Answer basic (non-tax related) questions
- Redirect clients to alternative service options if necessary
- Provide outstanding customer service and maintain privacy of client information
Proficient computer skills; Strong written communication skills
- Complete Onboarding (1 hour)
- Pass the (open-book) IRS volunteer ethics exams (1 hour)
- Volunteer 3-6 hours a week (May - Oct)