- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: One Week
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Mathematics, Coding
- Selective: Yes
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Career Clusters: Information Technology, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Credit Awarded: No
We have a summer in Storrs for you!
UConn's Pre-College Summer Data Science course provides high school students the opportunity to dive into the ever-expanding world of data science at a nationally ranked public university campus.
Where will your future take you?
That’s a hard question to answer, especially for high school students. UConn’s Pre-College Summer can help students figure out what path is right for them. Our Data Science course combines several disciplines, including statistics, data analysis, machine learning, and computer science. With the evolution of technology in the 21st century and the rapid increase of demand for these skills, the field of Data Science is growing at an extraordinary rate.
The course will be team-led by Professors Haim Bar, HaiYing Wang, and Jun Yan. Students taking this class will get the chance to:
- understand most important principles in data science;
- learn the basics of data science computing skills - data manipulation, visualization, and analysis;
- program in R to run simulations of games;
- practice on real applications with data from climate change to sports.
Some exposure to linear algebra (basic knowledge about vectors, matrices, and operations) and Python programming will be helpful in taking this course, but is not necessary.
For information on how UConn is handling the COVID-19 pandemic, visit our website!