- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Faith-Based
- Sub-Categories: Jewish
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17
- Minimum Cost: Free
This is a program for rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors to live and serve in Portland, Oregon. The co-ed group of participants will build the kind of lifelong, transformative friendships that come from working, studying, and living together in a communal setting.
During the 18-day adventure you will:
- Deepen your understanding of some of today’s most pressing social issues, including housing, food, and environmental quality
- Learn what Judaism, Jewish history, and Jewish sources have to offer as agents of social change
- Be inspired to put your new skills to work as leaders in your Jewish communities at home
- Know that your efforts made a difference in the lives of others
- Engage in hands-on work with local organizations, including light construction, gardening/farming, and environmental restoration
- Partake in Shabbat celebrations, programming with local
- Conservative synagogues, and meetings with Jewish leaders and change-makers.
- Have fun on recreational activities in Portland’s beautiful summer weather including a weekend camping trip.