The Experiment in International Living is the nation’s most experienced and respected provider of international education and experiential learning for high school students. The Experiment in International Living has been offering immersive experiential learning programs abroad since 1932.
Why The Experiment
At The Experiment, we understand that intercultural connections between young people are now more important than ever. The world is ready to recover and rise to new challenges, and The Experiment is committed to working together across cultures. The Experiment invites you to apply online to our select portfolio of programs abroad for this summer. Through our experiential and culturally immersive programs, Experimenters gain critical skills such as leadership, teamwork, intercultural competence, language acquisition, and problem-solving. Check out our website to learn more about The Experiment’s 360-degree approach to risk management related to the global COVID-19 pandemic as well as our enrollment process and timeline.
For more than 85 years, our immersive programs have allowed participants to explore the world in an authentic and impactful way, while developing enduring friendships through cultural experiences and homestays. Each year, hundreds of students come away from The Experiment with invaluable cultural, leadership, language, and interpersonal skills that help them thrive in diverse environments and prepare them to succeed in college and careers.
The Experiment is the flagship program of World Learning, a thriving global nonprofit organization with education, sustainable, development, and exchange programs with impact in more than 150 countries.
The Experiment Difference At a Glance
- History and Experience. A distinguished 90 year history of innovative leadership in international, cross-cultural programs for youth
- Our Programs. A thematic focus—on sustainability and the environment; arts and social change; language and cultural discovery; leadership training; or peace, politics, and human rights
- Intercultural Learning and Cross-Cultural Communication. A long tradition of building skills in intercultural learning and cross-cultural communication through immersive activities that promote language acquisition as well as cross-cultural empathy, flexibility, resilience, and efficacy
- Homestays. Homestays and/or other immersive community experiences designed to provide meaningful and firsthand experience living in another culture
- Maximizing Health and Safety. A strong focus on health, safety, and security. Programs follow a comprehensive structure designed to maximize the well-being of all participants while they engage with the host culture and local communities.
- Enduring Partnerships with Organizations Nationwide. Longstanding and deeply rooted relationships with Experiment partner organizations, alumni, and donors—who believe in us and what we do—facilitate access to Experiment programs and support for a diversity of participants.
- Small and Diverse Groups. Small and diverse participant groups—typically composed of two adult group leaders and 15 participants from very different geographic, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Our Leaders, Partners, and Staff. Outstanding student support from experienced adult group leaders, in-country partners, and Experiment staff in Vermont, all of whom contribute enormously to the educational and immersive nature of our programs