- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Argentina, Belize, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ghana, India, Kenya, Mongolia, Peru, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Zambia, Tanzania, Nepal, Guatemala, Honduras, Uganda, Galapagos Islands, Multiple Locations
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Session Start: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Session Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Quarter, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Entering Grade: 11th, 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
A Broader View Volunteers (ABV) is a non profit, 501 c(3) charity organization based in the USA. Summer work programs offered range from 1 week to 3 months. Projects are located throughout Central and South America, Asia and Africa.
An A Broader View program is designed to give high school students an enriching, life-changing experience while volunteering abroad. Students have an opportunity to experience, learn and contribute to society in ways which traditional travel or study abroad does not do. What better way to explore the host country than through hands-on work within the local community you are living in? Summer programs are about 100% local immersion. Students live with local host families.
Host families come well screened, have a proven track record for hosting high school students, offer clean lodging, safe food and impose nightly curfews. Language lessons and cultural immersion programs are available as well. Summer options are available in 24 countries worldwide. A Broader View Volunteers programs are customized. Students pick their own start and end dates. The minimum age for solo travelers is 17 years old. The minimum program length is one week. Some programs are available up to 12 weeks.
ABV - Popular Summer Programs
- Sea turtle rescue and conservation outreach in Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- Doctor/Nurse shadowing in a busy hospital in La Ceiba, Honduras
- Teaching English in a pre-school or kindergarten in La Serena, Chile
- Child care assistant and helper at a residential orphanage in Belize
- Woman and girls support project at a care facility in Guatemala
- Spanish language and cultural immersion program in Cusco, Peru
Upon completing their volunteer abroad trips, hundreds of ABV Volunteers, have achieved greater awareness of the world around them. They come home with new skills, heightened senses, improved foreign language skills and a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Join an ABV summer volunteer program and gain a broader view of the World.
*As a non for profit organization the program fees are tax deductible for USA taxpayers (students or parents, or donors). Students are able to fundraise for their trip directly on the A Broader View Volunteers website. Program costs depend on the project length. All programs include pre-trip planning and orientation materials, in-country staff support and supervision, accommodations, meals, round-trip airport transportation, placement in volunteer project, letter of completion, Presidential Service Award honors.