Pacific Discovery is a global leader in experiential education, offering transformative gap year and summer programs abroad since 2001. Programs are overland journeys combining authentic immersion, meaningful service, wilderness adventure. Students leave with a deepened sense oftheir identity, passion, and purpose...(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Costa Rica
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Four Weeks, Five Weeks
- Entering Grade: 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Sub-Categories: Surfing, Hiking
- Selective: No
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Credit Awarded: Yes
Surf, hike, and raft on multi-day expeditions through the ecological hotspot of Costa Rica and protect its rich biodiversity with wildlife rehabilitation and sustainable practices!
This program is jam-packed with multi-day adventures through a country rated one of the happiest on earth. We will see the jungle and wildlife first-hand by hiking through the rainforest of Los Santos, rafting down thrilling river rapids on the Pacuare, and kayaking through the Golfito. No prior experience is needed - just a sense of enthusiasm and curiosity! You can come and be the judge of why the people are so happy, but this rating probably stems from the laid-back ‘Tico’ vibe, combined with a globally inspiring model of eco-stewardship.
Costa Rica is a world leader in renewable energy. We get hands-on and learn about environmental sustainability at a permaculture ranch where we live amongst a local community and immerse in the authentic culture. We spend a portion of the program participating in conservation at a wildlife rescue center helping to rehabilitate exotic animals like sloths and howler monkeys rescued from illegal animal trading.
- Volunteer project working with sloths and monkeys at an animal rescue center
- Investigate sustainable agriculture and its importance in developing communities
- Experience the “pure vida” lifestyle in the world’s happiest country
- Surf on the pristine beaches of the Pacific coast with professional guides
- Hike through the unique cloud forest of Monteverde
- Savor traditional Costa Rican food like gallo pinto, ceviche and casado
- Yoga and meditation retreat to increase strength and enable self-reflection
- Exciting white water rafting trip through rapids and waterfalls on the Pacuare river
- Immerse yourself in the architecture and history of the bustling capital San Jose
Cost and Session Information
Program fee inclusions: all in-country travel and transport, all accommodation and most meals. The fee also includes all excursions and activities as described in the itinerary (unless noted as optional).