- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day
- Session Start: May
- Session Length: Two Months
- Entering Grade: 7th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Sub-Categories: Leadership, Work Experience
- Selective: No
- Ages: 16, 17, 18, 19
Coastal Camp Counselors work with Environmental Science Educators to lead groups of day campers in grades K-9 in hiking and exploring the Marin Headlands, a beautiful coastal park that’s part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Each week, counselors and educators work with one group to implement lessons, games, stories and other activities centered around that week’s theme. The majority of campers are in the 1st-2nd grade age group or 3rd-4th grade age group. This role is ideal for people interested in gaining experience in elementary and/or outdoor education, environmental science and summer camps. Staff must be available for mandatory staff training through the end of camp, May 31-August 14.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Support and assist the implementation of lessons, group management, food, distribution and maintaining camper safety and comfort over uneven terrain in all kinds of weather.
- Proactively engage campers and manage safety in games and activities during early (8 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.) and/or aftercare (3:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.).
- Create, lead and/or support activities for campers in one or more of the following areas Camper’s Choice: arts & crafts, music & movement, sports & recreation and/or free choice.
- Lead one required curriculum activity each week. Desire and ability to be active and engaged with campers at all times. Provide a safe and fun environment where campers play, explore, learn.
Required Experience, Competencies and Education
- Recent previous experience working with children ages 4-12.
- Available for flexible eight-hour shifts Monday-Friday from May 31 to August 14.
- Possess current CPR (Adult, Child and Infant) and First Aid certification or ability to get certified before the camp season begins at your own expense.
- Enjoyment of and desire to work with youth in an outdoor, camp setting.
- Capable of working as part of a collaborative team.
Compensation is $13/hour and includes housing