- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: STEM, Mathematics, Engineering
- Selective: No
- Ages: 17, 18, 19
- Minimum Cost: Free
The National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp) is a residential science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) program designed to honor and challenge some of the nation’s rising leaders and provide them with opportunities to engage with STEM professionals and participate in exciting outdoor activities. Typically, two delegates are selected to attend camp from each state and the District of Columbia. Find out more!
Students from around the country are challenged academically in exciting lectures and hands-on studies, and have voluntary opportunities to participate in an outdoor adventure program, gain a new and deep appreciation for the great outdoors, and establish friendships that last a lifetime.
- Inspire lifelong engagement and ethical leadership in STEM and related fields.
- Bridge the gap between the traditional school curriculum and careers in STEM and related professions.
- Develop a robust network among delegates, members of the program staff, and STEM professionals reinforced through community and shared experiences.
- Develop an increased awareness and understanding of current education, research, and career opportunities in STEM and related professions and their interdisciplinary connections.
- Create a safe environment for expanding comfort zones through outdoor adventure activities including backpacking, mountain biking, spelunking, and rock-climbing.
The National Youth Science Camp is made possible through the planning and fund-raising of the National Youth Science Foundation, a nonprofit organization with a mission to honor, sustain, and encourage youth interest and excellence in science by conducting comprehensive informal science education programs that provide opportunity for constructive interaction with others and emphasize the social value of thoughtful scientific careers.
The National Youth Science Camp program is strengthened through a philosophy that encourages delegates to experience each day by day. This philosophy permits the Staph* to plan numerous special events that surprise the participants. This philosophy also encourages the delegates to give undistracted attention to guest presenters. The National Youth Science Camp does not, therefore, publish detailed program calendars.