- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: China
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
Preparing tomorrow's Environmental Leaders through experiential, field based summer programs for North American and Chinese teens in South China (2015) and at the University of Vermont (2016).
This program develops Environmental Leadership in the context of three-weeks of travel in Hong Kong and South China. The Affiliated High School of South China Normal University will design a program to introduce students to regional environmental challenges through the economy, history and nature of South China. You will see a part of China through the lens of a Chinese program, not as a tourist would.
HSFZ designs a program for GATP that parallels the Vermont program, but with a Chinese perspective. Twelve American students see a part of China through a Chinese lens, not as a tourist would.
You will spend time:
- Exploring the Hong Kong and the outlying islands before and after the exchange
- Visiting businesses and municipal sites
- Visiting remote Natural preserves in mountainous or coastal regions
- Exploring cultural sites
- Visiting Zoos, University Museums and species breeding and preservation facilities
- Meeting with local experts
- Enjoying the hospitality of host families
You may opt for 1.0 to 3.0 college credits from the University of Vermont for your work in this program.
- Work to communicate with Chinese students
- Present project work with Chinese students
- Keep a field journal
- Write a reflective paper about environmental study in a foreign context for possible publication in The Green Dragon
- Share your experience with your local community during the subsequent academic year
If you successfully complete the 2015 South China based exchange program, you will be given priority for a reciprocal program in Vermont during the summer of 2016.
ALL INTERESTED US & CANADIAN HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY NOW.
Admission Requirements You must have a demonstrable interest in environmental science, business and economics, policy and governance, Chinese culture and language, or international exchange. An exceptional level of curiosity, maturity, resilience and perseverance is required. You must be in good standing at your sending school.