- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Peru
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Sub-Categories: Spanish, Youth Outreach
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
This is a life-changing service trip for high schoolers who hope to immerse themselves in the local communities and make a positive impact on others.
Students will experience Peru through community service projects and exciting adventures. One of the highlights of the trip will surely be the excursion to Machu Picchu!
Global Works will organize a group flight departing from the New York JFK airport. When the students land in Lima, the capital of Peru, they will take a bus directly to Urubamba. In the Sacred Valley town, they will engage in team-building activities and improve their Spanish skills. The rest of the first week will be focused on the service projects, which include collaborating with the local schools. In the past, these projects have included building playgrounds and dormitories, painting classrooms, and working with local students. Something similar to those initiatives can be expected. Students can earn up to 45 community service hours through engagement in this program. Sightseeing locations may include Inca ruins, the Pisac Market, and of course, the breathtaking Machu Picchu!
With the pandemic, Global Works has adopted some new policies, including:
- Students will be required to provide proof of negative covid test or vaccination prior to attending the trip.
- There will be daily temperature checks and tracking.
- There are disinfecting procedures for lodging and transportation.
- Students will be expected to follow certain behavioral guidelines.