- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Costa Rica
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Sub-Categories: Spanish, Youth Outreach
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
Students will spend 15 days exploring and serving in the heart of Costa Rica. They can engage in community projects, practice Spanish among locals, and experience outdoor excursions.
This service program focuses on Spanish Immersion and working with local children. Students may earn up to 45 community service hours through community development projects and environmental service work.
During the first few days, students can expect to take a Latin dance class, visit a farm, view the rainforest canopy from a zipline, and hike to the Monteverde Cloud Forest. While staying at an eco-lodge, students will begin on the designated community service project with a focus on education and the environment. During the second half of their trip, they will visit the Pacific Coast and learn how to surf.
With the ongoing pandemic, Global Works has adopted some new policies, including:
- Students will be required to provide proof of negative covid test or vaccination prior to attending the trip.
- There will be daily temperature checks and tracking.
- There are disinfecting procedures for lodging and transportation.
- Students will be expected to follow certain behavioral guidelines.