- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Costa Rica
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
A great service opportunity in Costa Rica for high school students interested in pre-med. They can expect to learn about improving public health directly from healthcare professionals.
This summer travel program is a service trip for teens wanting to contribute to global health. They will be gaining practical experience working alongside physicians on clean water and other outreach programs. No previous medical experience is required to apply for the program. Overall, students can expect to receive up to 55 community service hours for their work.
In the first five days, students will learn about the Costa Rican healthcare system and begin volunteering. The specific activity is to be determined based on the COVID-19 situation upon the time of arrival. During the next few days, they may complete a Wilderness First Aid course that focuses on outdoor medical skills and effective first aid treatment. They will also explore the canopy on a zipline. For the rest of their trip, they can expect hiking, surf lessons, and many more engaging outdoor activities.
With the pandemic, Global Works has adopted some new policies, including:
- Students will be required to provide proof of negative covid test or vaccination prior to attending the trip.
- There will be daily temperature checks and tracking.
- There are disinfecting procedures for lodging and transportation.
- Students will be expected to follow certain behavioral guidelines.
Cost and Session Information
Session 1: June 21st, 2021 - July 7th, 2021 $4,395
Session 2: July 13th, 2021 - July 29th, 2021 $4,395
Additional costs may include covid tests and insurance.