- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Academic
- Selective: No
- Ages: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
Global Scholar is an intensive summer program that gives high school students the community, knowledge, and skills to launch their careers as global change makers. Programs for grades 9-12. Based at American University in Washington, D.C.
We believe that youth are at a special moment in their lives when they are primed to explore and make their mark on this world. And the timing could not be more urgent, as you inherit a host of global challenges in urgent need of intervention. Over the past 12 years, Global Scholar has tapped into that energy and purpose, and graduated hundreds of leaders now pursuing careers in social change.
Are you ready to join us? We hope so: our world needs you!
Join us next summer to:
- Explore urgent global challenges including security, poverty, climate change, refugees, immigration, global health, and human rights through seminars with experts working in government, think tanks, non-profit organizations, academia and more. Scholars also meet with embassies and Senate offices.
- Build skills to be a bold and visionary global leader. Our popular Action Lab workshops give you advanced training you won’t get anywhere else, focusing on: Systems Thinking and Complex Problem-Solving; Diversity and Inclusion; Strategic Action Planning; Activating your Story, Values and Vision; and Empathy and Dialogue.
- Do Big Things, Now. The world can’t wait for your brilliance, and neither can we. Throughout the program Scholars apply knowledge and skills to craft and launch a meaningful project around a timely and critical global challenge, including voting, climate change, immigration, and more.
- Launch your global career. Discover careers, schools and opportunities in international affairs through career panels, career mapping, and 1:1 conversations with professionals working in the private, public and nonprofit sectors, as well as representatives from scholarship, fellowship, and study abroad programs. We also visit local universities.
- Explore beautiful Washington, D.C. and build inspiring friendships with peers equally motivated to pursue leadership opportunities and careers in public and international affairs. The broader AMP Global Youth family is thousands strong worldwide.
QUICK FACTS ON LOCATION, SESSIONS, AND APPLYING:
Global Scholar is based at American University in Washington, D.C. Residential students live in secure AU dorms with experienced Global Scholar staff.
We offer sessions for students entering grades 9-12 in fall 2020.
Session 1: June 28 – July 10, 2020. Grades 11 - 12
Session 2: June 28 - July 10, 2020. Grades 9 - 10
Session 3: July 12 - July 24, 2020. Grades 11 - 12
Session 4: July 12 - July 24, 2020. Grades 9 - 10
Applicants should have an interest in global issues, but coursework or experience abroad isn’t required.Scholarships are available; in 2019 we awarded $20,000 in scholarships to over 40% of the class.Admissions is rolling, but we are a small program and strongly advise applying early.
- Our Early-Bird Discount deadline is March 15, 2020. Now more than ever, youth need concrete tools for crafting a better world. Together, we’re building the next generation of young global citizens and leaders.