- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July, August, September
- Session Length: Other
- Entering Grade: Below 6th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Sub-Categories: Fishing, Sailing
- Selective: No
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
Skipjack trips take place aboard the School’s Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, Elsworth. Skipjacks are sailing vessels developed in the late 1890’s to sail dredge for oysters. The Elsworth is one of only a few remaining skipjacks which were built before 1920 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Sailing and running the Elsworth is a team effort, learning some basic sailing and navigational skills are a part of every trip.
The Elsworth sails each Monday with six participants, the captain, and two Echo Hill trip leaders. Fishing, crabbing, and swimming are important activities on any skipjack trip and Echo Hill teachers provide the crew with challenging adventures and ecology problems as well. Camping is done on the vessel.