- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: One Week, Other
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Animals/Nature, Environmental Science, Wildlife Conservation
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
Examine the impacts of global change phenomena—including warming temperatures and ocean acidification—on plants, wildlife, land, and within the Acadia National Park. The granite mountains and craggy coasts of the Acadia islands, famous for their beauty and their wildlife, are threatened by the effects of climate change. Explore the impacts of warming temperatures, mercury pollution, and ocean acidification within the intertidal zone.
Earthwatch volunteers help collect data that can be compared to an extended time-series data-set of 120 years. Help scientists tell the story of how humans are reshaping Acadia, which could inspire policies that will help safeguard an iconic American habitat. Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park offers either a two- or four-bedroom apartment or a bunkhouse. Amenities include a full gym, wifi, and shared computers, and chef-prepared meals.