- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: College
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Performing & Visual Arts
- Sub-Categories: Music, Musical Theatre Arts
- Selective: No
- Ages: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Career Clusters: Arts, Audio/Video Technology, and Communications
- Credit Awarded: No
Part of the Westeminster Vocal and Keyboard Institute, the Composition program provides aspiring young composers with concentrated study in the fundamentals of composition. Through individualized attention, students of all levels of proficiency - from beginner to advanced - work with Westminster faculty members taking classes in style, 20th-century music and musical analysis focusing on works by major composers.
Under the direction of Westminster Choir College's teaching artist faculty, this two-week program draws students from across the country and around the world. Open to students entering 9th grade through those who have just graduate high school, all students will sing in the Institute Choir under the direction of James Jordan. Students who choose Composition will focus on theory, technique, and orchestration.
Program Highlights include:
- Daily sessions in body awareness, musicianship, and improvisation
- College-level training with Westminster's artist faculty
- Break-out sessions tailored to each student's focus area
- Opportunities for private lessons
This is a residential program and students must participate in both weeks of the program. Students completing the program prior to applying for first-year admission to Rider University can qualify for an annually renewable $2,000 Pre-College Completion Award.