- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July, August
- Session Length: Two Weeks, Other
- Entering Grade: Below 6th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Sub-Categories: Hiking, Water Sports, Painting & Drawing
- Selective: No
- Ages: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
While in base camp, campers live as a family in small but diverse groups which are usually co-ed and often mixed age. Each group has at least two counselors who make sure everyone shares in communal tasks like building fires, cooking, and cleaning up. Each morning, campers assemble after breakfast to learn about the activities being offered that day. Possible choices include archery, crafts, swimming, boating, arts, rock-climbing, music, and much more.
Offering sessions for ages 10-17, each base-camp session also includes multi-day backpacking trips (one trip for the ten-day introductory program, two trips for the fifteen-day program). The hikes are planned to be compatible with campers’ age, interests and abilities. The three- to four-day long hikes are led by trained, experienced Unalayee staff, equipped with two-way radios and other safety gear. The hikes go out into the surrounding wilderness to visit nearby lakes and creeks. Sometimes a hike is organized around a special theme, such as gourmet trail cooking or natural history. These wilderness adventures are often the highlight of the summer.
Unalayee’s base camp program creates a supportive community where friendship and cooperation flourish. Working together, campers learn new skills, build self-confidence and develop self-sufficiency, all while exploring a spectacular wilderness summer camp setting.