- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Day
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Other
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
- Call: (309) 677-3016
For high school students interested in pursuing careers in science and technology-based areas. Interns research in labs throughout the Peoria area for a required total of 150-300 hours during this summer program. They work with top researchers and their teams to learn first-hand about the research process.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The goal of the BEST (Building Excellent Scientists for Tomorrow) Research Internship Program is to provide a foundation in scientific research appropriate for high school and college students interested in pursuing a career in basic or applied sciences, including biology, biomedical sciences, environmental sciences, physical sciences, and engineering.
Opportunities for undergraduates include the added benefit of developing leadership skills and advancing scientific knowledge. All interns will have the opportunity to present their research at the Interns Symposium at the conclusion of the program. Note: This is not a residential program.
This program will:
- Provide a mentored research experience that is challenging and stimulating
- Broaden the Intern’s technical skills, interactions with individuals from the scientific community, and educational and professional experience
- Offer supporting information for the intern’s career development
- Provide awareness of the employment opportunities in the field of science here in Peoria.
Interns will complete a 150 to 300-hour internship during the program (actual time frame may vary slightly as negotiated with program directors). Interns will work directly with a BEST mentor. BEST mentors that have participated in past years include researchers from Bradley University, the USDA Agricultural Utilization Lab, University of Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria, Caterpillar, ILM Consulting LLC, and Methodist College.
Applicants for the BEST Research Internship Program must:
- Complete the attached BEST Research Internship Program Application and a one-page personal statement
- Provide two letters of recommendation from teachers or other professionals who are acquainted with the students work habits, leadership skills, ability to work with others or potential for research success
- Provide a copy of high school or college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application but certified transcripts will be required to start the program).