- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Costa Rica, Ecuador, Nicaragua, United States, Dominican Republic
- Program Delivery: Residential, Online
- Session Start: March, June, July
- Session Length: Two Months, Semester, Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Sub-Categories: Spanish, Environmental Science, Wildlife Conservation
- Selective: No
- Ages: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
AMIGOS is an international nonprofit, founded in 1965, that inspires leaders through authentic service and immersion experiences. Our vision is a world where all people are lifelong leaders sharing responsibility for our global community.
AMIGOS offers service and immersion programs in Latin America and the United States.
- Costa Rica: Los Santos (Bilingual pod - Spanish required)
- Food Justice: Coffee & Communities - Explore different farming practices in Costa Rica from the mountains to the valleys! What impact does international demand for Costa Rican coffee have on local communities? What does local food production have to do with agroforestry practices? From cultivation to consumption, dive deep into food systems by learning from communities in Costa Rica.
- Costa Rica: Cartago y Caribe
- Community-Driven Conservation & Climate Justice - Explore community efforts to adapt to climate change in Costa Rica! From the mangroves of the Caribbean coast to the cloud forests, we will examine local conservation initiatives that have persisted despite challenges due to a changing climate. We will also dig into the root causes of climate change and how international actions can have a profound effect on local communities. There is no Spanish requirement, but you'll get to use introductory Spanish and take Spanish Classes!
- Costa Rica: Montanas y Mar
- Ecotourism and Conservation (Spanish Required)- Are you ready to jump into adventure in Costa Rica? Travel to a volcanic valley to explore how climate change is affecting agriculture. Spend time on the Carribean Coast volunteering with a wildlife and ecological conservation initiative. Immerse yourself in the lush wilderness of Costa Rica's forests, rolling hills, and tranquil Carribean while you unplug with us this summer.
- Ecuador: La Costa
- Climate Change and Ecosystem Restoration - How can we mitigate the effects of climate change? Volunteer with local organizations restoring ecosystems and promoting sustainable agriculture and food production on Ecuador's Pacific Coast. Explore stunning beaches, rocky shorelines, and coastal forests- you may even get lucky and spot a humpback whale!
- Ecuador: La Sierra (Bilingual pod - Spanish required)
- Indigenous Rights and Food Security - How does the popularity of superfoods impact resources, water, and food sovereignty in Andean communities? Travel to the highlands of Ecuador to explore food security and justice in rural indigenous farming communities. Meet local leaders, food producers, and youth making an impact on food systems in the region.
- United States: Western Colorado
- Exploring Conservation in the Rockies - Colorado has a natural beauty and landscape that is unparaelled in the United States. Do hands-on volunteer service and spend time learning from local leaders to hear their vision for the future of Colorado's natural environment. This is a one-of-a-kind chance to experience conservation up close in some of the country's most majestic scenery.