- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Sub-Categories: Spanish, Environmental Science, Wildlife Conservation
- Selective: No
- Ages: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Credit Awarded: Yes
- Meeting: Schedule a Meeting
AMIGOS is an international nonprofit, founded in 1965, that inspires leaders through authentic service and immersion experiences. Our vision is a world where all people are lifelong leaders sharing responsibility for our global community.
AMIGOS offers summer service and immersion programs for ages 13–19 in Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Panama.
- Costa Rica: Cartago y Caribe
- Conservation & Climate Justice (2 weeks, no Spanish required) - Explore community efforts to adapt to climate change in Costa Rica! From the mangroves of the Caribbean coast to the cloud forests, we will examine local conservation initiatives that have persisted despite challenges due to a changing climate. We will also dig into the root causes of climate change and how international actions can have a profound effect on local communities. There is no Spanish requirement, but you'll get to use introductory Spanish and take Spanish Classes!
- Costa Rica: La Brunca
- Sustainable Development (3 weeks, Spanish required) - From farming and coffee growing to conservation and wildlife corridors, explore how local communities in southern Costa Rica practice sustainable development. Volunteer with women-led community organizations that are transforming the buffer zones of protected areas! Stay at a nature reserve and a lodge in the rolling hills of the Brunca region! Immerse yourself by living with a host family and learning how farmers support conservation.
- Costa Rica: Los Santos
- Food Justice: Coffee & Communities (6 weeks, Spanish required) - Explore different farming practices in Costa Rica from the mountains to the valleys. What impact does international demand for Costa Rican coffee have on local communities? What does local food production have to do with agroforestry practices? From cultivation to consumption, dive deep into food systems by learning from communities in Costa Rica. Live with a host family and immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture.
- Costa Rica: Olas y Cerros
- Conservation & Climate Justice (3 weeks, Spanish required) - Explore community efforts to adapt to climate change in Costa Rica! From sea turtle protection on the Caribbean coast to the cloud forests in Valle Central, you'll get hands-on with local conservation projects. Dig in to the root causes of climate change and how international actions affect local communities. And, get to know Tico culture by living with a host family on the Caribbean coast!
- Costa Rica: Pérez Zeledón
- Biodiversity & National Parks (4 weeks, Spanish required) - Experience the incredible biodiversity that Costa Rica has to offer on the Pérez Zeledón project! You’ll live with a host family and work with Costa Rican students on a service project in your community before heading to one of the country’s stunning national parks for some hands-on volunteering.
- Ecuador: Azuay
- Community Development & Microenterprise (4 weeks, Spanish required) - High in the Andes mountains, immerse yourself in the life of rural Ecuador. During your time in community, you might learn to harvest potatoes alongside your host dad or help your host sister milk the family's cows. Throughout the summer, build your business savvy and community development skills by working alongside local students to design and implement a project. You may help develop programs for a community radio station, work on a re-forestation project, or help out at a seed bank.
- Ecuador: Santa Elena
- Youth Empowerment (4 weeks, Spanish required) - Venture into rural, coastal communities throughout the beautiful province of Santa Elena, Ecuador while volunteering and living with a host family! Earn 48 service hours while supporting local initiatives to empower youth through collaborating on service projects. Truly immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Ecuador's Pacific coast by getting into the day-to-day rhythm of life in your host community.
- Panama: Coclé
- Community Health (4 weeks, Spanish required) - Explore the intersection of environmental protection and community health in the heart of Panama! Promote healthy living, climate-friendly environmental practices, and mosquito-borne illness prevention by learning and working alongside locals and the Ministry of Health. Explore the tropical scenery and the diverse geography of the Coclé region in Panama.
- Panama: El Pacifico
- Intro to Service Abroad (2 weeks, no Spanish required) - Travel to Panama with a group of students to learn about environmental issues like conservation and preserving endangered wildlife! From exploring beaches for turtle eggs to hiking through nature reserves, you'll earn 24 service hours. See how local youth are getting involved with issues they care about. Enjoy Panama's unspoiled Pacific beaches and immerse yourself in the tropical forests of the Veraguas Province. This project is for middle school students ages 13 and 14.
A summer spent with Amigos de las Americas is a summer that you'll never forget. I had such an amazing time. I went for one of the longest programs and I think I could've stayed for another month or two. Everybody was so positive, not just in my community but the AMIGOS staff as well. It was infectious! I had never done anything like it before; I'd never left my parents for more than a week, but stepping out of my comfort zone really helped me grow and become more confident as a person.- Claire, Participant in Panama Summer 2016 - September 21, 2016