- Listing Type: Private Schools
- Residency: Day, Residential
- Type: Private
- Grades Offered: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, PG
- Country: United States
- High School Admission Test: SSAT, ISEE, Not Required
- Affiliation: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- CEEB: 222545
- IPED: 603712
- Application Fee: $60
- Tution Boarding: $56,000
- Tution Day: $40,900
Worcester Academy is an independent co-ed day and boarding school for grades 6 to 12 and postgraduates. Our diverse community and innovative curriculum provide each student with unique opportunities for self-discovery, academic achievement, and personal empowerment.
We offer a range of innovative core courses and electives as well as Honors and Advanced Placement courses in every subject area, including the Arts. We expect students to excel academically, knowing that a strong work ethic and a sense of purpose – skills needed for success in college and beyond – are nurtured in an environment of adult guidance and student agency.
- 180 Upper School courses offered, including 19 Honors, 21 Advanced Placement and post-AP courses in Math, Science and Mandarin.
- Top ranked Mathematics Team in New England
- Recent cultural education opportunities in Dominican Republic, Denmark, Rome, Canada and China
- Over 80 club choices in the Middle and Upper Schools
- Performing Arts opportunities available each semester
- More than 250 student-leadership positions
- 17 Interscholastic sports offered, fielding 50 athletic teams for boys and girls in grades 6 through 12
- Tuition for Middle School (Grades 6–8) – $37,848; Upper School (Grades 9–12) – $40,951
- Both 5- and 7-day boarding options available - $59608-$72,113
- Attracts students from 15 states across the country and from 20 different nations
- International students comprise roughly 20% of our student body. Countries typically represented are: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Ecuador, Germany, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, Scotland, Somaliland, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Venezuela and Vietnam.
At WA, our teachers are imaginative and thoughtful designers of dynamic learning opportunities. Through rigorous inquiry and essential questions, students come to understand our world from multiple perspectives and discover opportunities to take the lead in their areas of interest.
Our program is a balance and blend of tradition and innovation. We make use of current technologies and innovative teaching practices, while instilling traditional principles of responsibility, honor and achievement. We offer longer class periods and collaborative projects that allow for deeper learning, discovery and practice – individually and in groups. Here, students develop the skills essential to becoming competent, empowered learners and leaders in a complex world. Because our students are at the heart of all we do, they receive the individual attention and encouragement that prepare them to embrace the real world and achieve their life goals.
WA provides students a broad range of opportunities to learn, lead, and contribute to our school and the greater Worcester community. Our co-curricular activities, including service-learning, unique arts offerings, clubs, and athletics, promote personal growth and develop leadership skills. Outside our campus, the city’s museums, research facilities, and universities reinforce the academic experience.
The best way to get to know to Worcester Academy is to visit campus to meet students and faculty.
AP courses offered: AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Latin: Vergil, AP French Language, AP Spanish Language & Culture, AP Spanish Literature & Culture, AP Chinese Language & Culture, AP Computer Science, AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Physics, AP Physics C, AP World History, AP US History, AP American Government, AP European History, AP Economics and AP Music Theory
Clubs and activities include: Afternoon Tunes, Badminton, Best Buddies, Board of Monitors, Business & Investment, Chess, Chinese Entertainment, Christian Fellowship, Classics, Contemporary Music, Medieval, Dance, Destination Imagination, Digital Media, Environmental, French, Gay-Straight Alliance, Habitat for Humanity, Hillpoppas a cappella, Innovation, Japanese Animation, Jimmy Fund, Knitting, Korean Culture, Literary Review, Math Team, Medical Explorers, Model United Nations, Mosaic Diversity, Musical Theater, Newman Society, Open Mic, Open Studio, OskeeVision, Outreach UMASS, Philosophical Films, Pillars Peer Educators, Politics, Robotics, Sabermetrics, Sailing, Scratch Code, Service, Spanish, Ultimate Frisbee, Virgonia Newspaper, We Give Back, Why Me, Wilderness, World Languages and Cultures, Yearbook and more. If you don't see something you are passionate about, you can start a club and find friends to join your interest.
Varsity and junior varsity sports offered include: Cross-Country (B,G), Basketball (BFr,BJV,BV,GJV,GV), Baseball (JV,V), Field Hockey (JV,V), Ice Hockey (B,G), Crew / Rowing (Co-Ed), Football (JV, V), Skiing (Co-ed), Lacrosse (BJV,BV,GJV,GV), Soccer (BJV,BV,GJV,GV), Swimming (JV,V), Softball (JV,V), Volleyball (JV, V), Wrestling (JV,V), Tennis (B,G), Golf (Co-ed), Track (B,G). Worcester Academy has a proud, rich athletic tradition. Through the years, WA has won a number of team and individual championships in the New England Prep School Athletic Conference (NEPSAC).
In addition to a selection of clubs, Middle School electives include: Model United Nations, Band, Chorus, Digital Photography, Lego Robotics and Puppetry Storytelling.
International Programs and Services: We recognize that for many international students, English is a second language. For those who need to improve their English proficiency, we offer EFL (English as a Foreign Language) courses, as well as history courses designed for non-native English speakers. The EFL program is designed to improve English language literacy and preparation to join regular classes in English and is offered at no additional charge. Our International Student Advisor helps students smooth their transition into the Worcester Academy community, providing assistance with academics, immigration, student visas, and travel arrangements. International students are often welcomed into the homes of their fellow students during holidays and vacation breaks.