- Listing Type: Private Schools
- Residency: Day, Residential
- Type: Private, Special Needs, Therapeutic
- Grades Offered: Below 6th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Country: United States
- High School Admission Test: Not Required
- CEEB: 330479
- Tution Boarding: $29,000
- Tution Day: $18,000
- Special Needs Served: Learning Differences, Autism Spectrum
- Call: (845) 259-8259
Longview School is a pre-K through 12th grade private school in Brewster, New York. Longview’s school community is one where the students are involved in all of the decision making through our legislative body and our student-run judicial system.
Longview School is a pre-K through 12th grade nonprofit, NY State recognized, private school located in the village of Brewster, New York.
Longview combines rigorous academics in the traditional curriculum with electives hardly ever seen on the pre-K to 12th grade level.
Some of our electives include:
- computer programming
- game design
- visual basic programming
- graphic design
Longview’s small, personalized environment supports both academic learning and social development. Longview makes life real for our students in a number of ways:
- Classes are taught so that learning is relevant to the students’ lives
- Students share the real work of operating the school through clerkship positions
- Students share the responsibility of working out conflicts in the school Judicial Committee
- Students share the power in making the rules by which the school is governed
- Students are encouraged to complete internships in job settings they consider as potential future professions.
Students with special needs
Although we are not a school specifically for students who have special needs, we have always incorporated these students seamlessly into our community, with them typically comprising 30% to 50% of our total student body. Our school is truly an inclusive environment where the needs of special ed students are met in the same classes with our more traditional learners with the use of:
- small classes
- differentiated teaching techniques
- hands-on instruction
In addition, these students have 1:1 or 1:2 classes with our special ed teacher for both direct instruction, program development and support.
At Longview both day and boarding students are introduced to an enriching school experience that allows them to thrive in an alternative academic setting. It is our goal to have students feel empowered at school rather than have their power taken away from them.
Numerous students simply fall through the cracks in public schools and start to feel like they cannot be successful in their education. Many of those students find a new home at Longview School.