Glenelg Country School cultivates a community that stimulates our students to realize their highest potential. Outstanding academic and enrichment opportunities nurture a passion for lifelong learning, personal integrity, and respect for others.
In the Upper School, our students continue to build the individual talents, powers, and strengths that will guide them confidently into college and throughout life. Benefits of the Upper School experience:
- An integrated curriculum. We offer a broad range of courses in humanities, science, math, and foreign languages along with electives. In turn, students tailor this rigorous college preparatory program to individual interests. In support, we provide up-to-the-minute technology and, notably, a college-level EDF Refractor Telescope.
- Progress at each students pace. Regular, Honors, and Advanced Placement (AP) courses mean each student finds the appropriate level of challenge. More than half of 11th and 12th graders are enrolled in at least one of our 19 AP courses. Classes average 15 students and every student works closely with a faculty advisor.
- A capstone experience. Seniors participate in an interdisciplinary seminar: exploring an essential question, developing a thesis, and presenting their work to the entire school.
- A focus on values. Each Upper School student carries out at least 95 hours of community service. The Honor Code, created and enforced by students, ensures honesty, integrity, and civility.
- Learning and leadership beyond the classroom. An inclusive athletics program encourages all students to participate. A lively arts agenda features a fall talent show, an early winter Shakespearean production, a spring musical, and ongoing instrumental and choral performances. Other opportunities range from the National Honor Society and Student Council to the Speaker Series and Dragon Radio.