- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United Kingdom
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Program Length: Six Weeks, Semester
- Start Month: February, March, September, November
- Category: Academic
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Student Apartment
- Application Fee: $50
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
- Call: +1 (646) 665-1861
Begin your journey of self-discovery at the center of the art world. This program is ideal for students who are passionate about the wider arts and want to embark on a journey of self-discovery and cultural immersion.
Built around the unrivaled access of Sotheby’s Institute of Art, the Gap program invites curious students to explore London and the art world. Offered as 6-week and 12-week terms, the program is ideal for students who are passionate about the wider arts and want to embark on a journey of self-discovery and cultural immersion.
This program introduces students to a world of creativity, culture, business, and opportunity in the heart of London: a historic, cosmopolitan and thriving capital city. Designed for students aged 18-21, the program provides unique opportunities for students to broaden their perspectives, meet new people, develop an intimate understanding of the art world, and discover their place within it.
All our Gap programs are built around the three pillars of Personal Development, Professional Exploration and Intellectual Discovery. Our program gives students the opportunity to spend either 6 or 12 weeks with us on a full-time residential program.
Living and learning in London is integral to the Sotheby’s Institute Gap experience. During their program, students will be introduced to life in a creative world capital. From visits to some of London’s major cultural venues – the British Museum, Tate Modern, the Historic Royal Palaces and Barbican Centre – to talks and workshops led by experienced professionals in the public and commercial art worlds — auctioneers, gallerists, curators, artists, private collectors — students will take full advantage of the richness and nuanced layers of the London art scene.
- Learn delicious and authentic recipes from around the world with an international cooking class at a historic venue in London
- Develop professional skills with a Live Brief project set by, and presented to, industry specialists
- Get behind the scenes access to the world of Sotheby’s Auction House and visit exclusive previews followed by specialist led discussions
- Visit an artist studio in South London and try your hand at portraiture painting
- Get inside knowledge on how to develop your professional profile, with CV and LinkedIn workshops led by top art world recruiters
- Explore arts and culture beyond the city, with a tour of the Oxford Colleges, a visit to seaside town Margate, and venture to the south-west city of Roman-built baths and stunning Georgian architecture
- Take an expert-led tour of an influential art fair to explore new and emerging talent from the most significant international galleries
- Learn about the technical study and conservation of medieval artworks with a Painting Fellow at The National Gallery
- Undertake a workshop with a renowned art magazine to learn how to review, critique, comment and analyse contemporary art for your audience
- Take a tour of the East End galleries, from artist run spaces to blue-chip establishments, and discover how to talk about contemporary art
Cost and Session Information
6-week in-person program.
Dates: June 6 - July 15, 2022
6 and 12-week options.
Session 1: Sep 12 – Oct 21, 2022
Session 2: Oct 31 – Dec 9, 2022
Sessions 1 + 2: Sep 12 – Dec 9, 2022 (incl. 1-week break between sessions)
Session 1: £11,000 (incl. 3-day Scotland trip)
Session 2: £13,500 (incl. 1-week Italy trip + 1-week Paris trip)
Session 1 + 2: £22,500 (incl. all trips + 1-week break between sessions)