- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: China, Ghana, India, Japan, Morocco, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States, Vietnam, Multiple Locations
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Semester
- Start Month: January, August
- Category: Academic
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Boat
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships
- Minimum Cost: > $20,000
Semester at Sea introduces undergraduate students to global and comparative studies by focusing on structural and social changes taking place in the world today.
What is a Semester at Sea?
Semester at Sea is a multiple country study abroad program open to students of all majors emphasizing comparative academic examination, hands-on field experiences, and meaningful engagement in the global community. A wide variety of coursework from 20-25 disciplines is integrated with relevant field studies in up to a dozen countries, allowing for a comparative study abroad experience that is truly global. The University of Virginia is the programs academic sponsor. Students from 250-300 colleges in the United States and the world participate on Semester at Sea each term. Credit earned is transferable to a students home institution.