- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Sri Lanka
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Program Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Other, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Environmental Conservation
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay
- Application Fee: $199
If you have always wanted to play an active role in conservation programs, then now is your chance to be a volunteer and contribute meaningfully towards the wellbeing of the Sea Turtles thriving in the south-western coasts of Sri Lanka.
In the recent past, excessive commercial fishing and poaching of turtle eggs by humans and predators (dogs, monitor lizards, etc.) have resulted in their numbers dwindling significantly and thus, these turtles are considered to be an endangered species.
The main focus of this project is to protect the turtle eggs as well as the baby turtles, and subsequently increase their population. This includes preserving the eggs from predators and poachers, providing a safe haven for hatchings to occur, caring for the baby, sick and injured turtles, feeding them daily and releasing the healthy ones into the ocean when ready.
Being a volunteer, you'll support the hatcheries through conservation efforts which are valuable for their sustainability, and also goes a long way in helping them financially as we pay these hatcheries a placement fee for each volunteer we send to them, which allows them to generate additional income. You'll also get to teach the local communities about the prospects of nature conservation and how to keep the environment healthy.
- Volunteer to make a difference & support the sea turtle ecosystem in a positive manner
- Play an active role in beach cleaning and promote responsible tourism
- Gain first-hand work experience and bond with people from different parts of the world
- Learn about the culture, traditions, and festivities of Sri Lanka
- Experience the thrill of wildlife adventure at any of the several national reserves, including, Sinharaja forest reserve, Bundala National park, Minneriya National park, and more
- Explore world-class beaches like Ahangama, Mirissa, and Tangalle and soak in the sun over the weekends
- Get the taste of real Sinhalese cuisine
Volunteers must be 17 years or older at the time of joining the project. You need to have an open mind and a flexible attitude for working in a new and different environment. The volunteer should bring energy and enthusiasm to make a difference. Participants must be fit and healthy at the time of joining the program and should be prepared to work outdoors and get their hands dirty. Participants in the program should have a keen interest and love for conservation work. Participants should have no criminal convictions and should provide a clean criminal background check report. A parental consent form shall be required for Under 18 participants joining the program.