- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: South Africa
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Academic Year, Semester, Quarter, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Other
- Financial Aid: Not Available
- Minimum Cost: < $1,000
The Edge of Africa Teaching volunteer program is an excellent opportunity for students with a passion for teaching and giving back to the community!
This program entails supporting disadvantaged schools and participating in community outreach projects designed to help local students. Students will work alongside Edge of Africa staff and local teachers to form and teach lessons. They can expect to teach local children English, math, and help them develop social and problem-solving skils. Outside of the classroom, they will teach the youth teamwork, communication, and encourage them to let their imagination run wild! Moreover, students will participate in school upliftment projects such as painting murals, building play areas, designing posters, and growing gardens. This program prioritizes letting individual skills shine, so every student will find a role that they are comfortable in. Students will also help out with community projects focusing on health, education, and nutrition. Clearly, this program is perfect for students who are willing and eager to dedicate their time to worthy causes such as education and community health.