- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Argentina, Chile, Peru
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Semester
- Start Month: August, September
- Category: Academic
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
The 4-month Pre-Med "Gap Year" replaces the freshman fall semester. Spanning 3 countries (Argentina, Chile ,and Peru), the future doctor works toward Spanish fluency, develops Latino cultural empathy and gains medical shadowing experience.
Exclusively for gap year (between high school and college) students who intend to pursue a career as a medical professional.
The USA already has more Spanish speakers than Spain.
Within two generations, studies predict that America will surpass Mexico to have the world's largest Spanish-speaking population.
Unsurprisingly, Spanish fluency is increasingly important for healthcare jobs and even graduate school admissions.
Pre-Med "Gap Year" highlights:
- Spanish immersion course, excedding the equivalent of 5 college courses (with accompanying transcript for college credit)
- 24+ hours of medical shadowing
- Family homestay for extra Spanish practice and to develop Latino cultural empathy
- Deep-diving into the cultures of 3 distinct countries: Argentina, Chile, and Peru
The program is limited to 25 students and requires an application interview. Rolling admissions.