- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Costa Rica
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: Academic Year, Semester
- Start Month: January, September
- Category: Christian
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Dorm, Boat
- Application Fee: $30
- Minimum Cost: $5,000 - $9,999
Portantorchas is a ministry center located in Costa Rica. We have an excellent one-year, bilingual (English/Spanish) Bible School designed for students experience the reality of Christ living in them through Bible study, living in Christian community, and ministry. We also lead short-term mission trips.
Portantorchas is a ministry center and Bible school, located in the suburbs of San José, Costa Rica. Our program provides a great experience of taking a “gap year” to grow in your personal relationship with God and experience the reality of Christ living in you through studying the Bible, living in community, and serving in ministry.
We are one of more than 20 schools under the umbrella Torchbearers of the Capernwray Missionary Fellowship that was founded in England in 1947.
The goals of our school include:
- Build a strong Biblical foundation in the life of each student through Bible classes, personal devotions, and Bible study and reading time.
- Expose students to cross-cultural ministries by working in the local community every week and on a one-week mission trip.
- Start or build upon second language acquisition of Spanish. Learn to live in community and serve one another through shared responsibilities and activities.
- Equip them to be leaders and disciple-makers as they return home to family, work, college, and for the rest of their lives.
Our program is composed of two 4-month terms that run each year from February through May, and August through November. Admission is for either or both semesters. During the first month, students are placed in small group language classes along with Bible classes. These language classes offer the benefit of students to start developing a second language acquisition of Spanish. The next three months are focused on Bible classes and weekly ministries.
Some of the ministries that our students have been involved in for the weekly outreach are: orphanages, a women’s shelter, a men’s addiction recovery center, nursing homes, outdoor adventure camps, as well as on-campus worship or neighborhood Bible clubs.
We average 20-30 students per term from all over the world. All classes, meals and housing, the mission trip and a short trip to Panama are included in the cost. Travel and personal needs such as off-campus meals are not included.
Join us in Costa Rica for a life-transforming year of growing in your faith, adventures, and experiencing the life of Christ in you!