- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Two Months, Semester
- Start Month: February, September
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Cabins, Dorm, Homestay, Other, Tents
- Application Fee: $500
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Affiliation: Gap Year Association
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
Challenge yourself on this Central America gap year program journeying through the ancient ruins and spectacular land and seascapes of Mexico, Guatemala and Costa Rica.
Join us on this journey, witnessing the cenotes and Mayan ruins of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, down to the black sand beaches and exotic animals of Costa Rica and through the rich highlands of volcanic Guatemala. You will absorb, explore, interact with, and understand the beautiful diversity of these locations. Your days will be as varied as the countries you visit, with a fusion of hands-on volunteer work, connecting with locals, learning the Spanish language, camping under the stars, and serious doses of adventures. Think scuba diving in Mexico, rafting and surfing in Costa Rica, volcano treks in Guatemala, and standup paddle boarding on Lake Atitlan to name a few!
This gap year program moves organically from the Caribbean to the forested highlands of Central America and across to the Pacific. You get to see it all, and make a difference while you're at it! Through a community volunteer project at a local school, some hands-on work at a permaculture farm, helping out on coffee plantations and caring for endangered wildlife (and sloths!) at an animal rescue center, you will work alongside local communities and truly immerse yourself in their cultures, while learning more about this part of world and its complex ecosystem.