Inspire youth to practice their English-speaking skills and share your culture while getting paid! That’s Odyssey!
Embark on this nine-month Odyssey and you will:
- earn paid work experience in a classroom setting (approximately $25 per hour).
- discover whether the field of education is right for you.
- experience francophone culture and way of life in New Brunswick or Quebec.
- develop new skills and improve your French-speaking skills.
As a language assistant, you will work in a classroom setting with teachers, using games and activities to help students learn and improve English. There is no age limit for undertaking an Odyssey. To qualify, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- have excellent English-language skills, both oral and written. English must be your first language, OR your proficiency in English must be as strong as if it were your first language;
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (those studying in Canada on a student visa are not eligible);
- have completed one of the following within the last 10 years:
- For studies outside Quebec in Canada – at least one full year of postsecondary studies, in either college or university;
- For studies in Quebec – two years of college-level studies or one full year of university;
- For studies outside Canada – at least one full year of postsecondary studies, in either college or university. You will also need to submit a formal assessment of your academic credentials.
You do not need any French-language skills to apply and participate in the program. However, you will be placed in francophone communities, where French is the first language, so basic speaking skills in French will greatly enhance your experience.