- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Sri Lanka
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Academic Year, Semester, Quarter, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Hotel, Other
- Financial Aid: Not Available
- Minimum Cost: $1,000 - $2,999
This program is a fantastic opportunity for students eager to explore Sri Lanka and devote themselves to turtle conservation efforts.
During their stay, students will learn more about the endangered sea turtles and gain hands on experience helping them. By ensuring viable feeding and nesting, volunteers will protect sea turtles and prevent their further endangerment. Students can also expect cultural workshops and excursions, exposure to local cuisine and culture, as well as plenty of other volunteer opportunities. These may include guiding tourists, night patrolling on the beach, and caring for turtles. Surely, students will come out of this program with meaningful friendships, a renewed appreciation for nature, and invaluable experience giving back to the environment.