- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Program Delivery: Day
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: Academic Year
- Start Month: July
- Category: Career Exploration
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Other
- Financial Aid: Other
- Minimum Cost: $5,000 - $9,999
- Meeting: Schedule a Meeting
Discover Year is an innovative and structured gap year program that helps young adults understand what they want in life and build the skills they need to go out and get it. Our students develop stronger self-awareness, confidence, communication skills and resilience to thrive in whatever education or career path they choose to take, while learning more about themselves and their unique interests, talents and passions.
To learn more about Discover Year and our programming, please visit our main Discover Year listing (found under "Related Listing" at the bottom of this page).
DISCOVER YEAR IN OTTAWA
Our headquarters are located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada*, with two regional hubs in Toronto, Ontario and Boston, Massachusetts. We also give students the option to complete their Discover Year remotely from almost anywhere in the world, as long as you have a reliable Internet connection.
If you are currently living in Ottawa and interested in completing a Discover Year, you are in the right place! Discover Year’s programming is 50% online and 50% in-person, so you will have the opportunity to participate in all in-person activities throughout the year in Ottawa, and then complete the online programming from the comfort of your home while connecting virtually with Discover Year students from all locations!
If you are living outside of Ottawa and would like to complete a Discover Year, you have several options:
- Move to Ottawa for the duration of your Discover Year: In this case, our team will coach you through the process of moving to Ottawa, including finding accommodation, acquiring a visa (if necessary), booking travel, etc. This way, you will be able to join all in-person activities in Ottawa each month, while also exploring the city and meeting new people throughout the year.
- Commute to Ottawa for in-person activities: If you live within close proximity to Ottawa and have access to transportation (car, bus, train, etc.), then you are welcome to commute to Ottawa to join the in-person activities each month. You will then be able to return home and complete all of the online components of the program remotely.
- Complete your Discover Year entirely remotely: Students who live outside of our three Discover Year locations (Ottawa, Toronto and Boston) also have the option to complete the program entirely remotely. Our programming is incredibly engaging and interactive (even online!), so remote students will still have the opportunity to connect with other students, staff and mentors for a meaningful and memorable Discover Year.
*Orientation period in Ottawa
At the beginning of every Discover Year, we host a two-week Orientation Period in Ottawa for all Discover Year students, no matter where they are living. During this period, students will meet and bond with one another through hands-on skills workshops, social activities, team-building exercises, city adventures, and more. All students are highly encouraged to come to Ottawa for the orientation period as it is an excellent opportunity to meet your peers in person!